Our approach to helping the planet
The environmental impact of global business has been a topic of discussion for years, but the scientific evidence is clear: we must act now. The global temperature has risen 1.1 degrees Celsius compared to pre-industrial levels. In 2020, 18% of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions were produced by agriculture, making it a large burden on the environment. Scientists and environmentalists have spoken—and at OmniActive, we hear them and are taking specific measures to reduce our carbon footprint by taking a long-term commitment to conserving natural resources.
OmniActive operates a vertically integrated supply chain for lutein and zeaxanthin-based products that starts with non-GMO seeds and cultivation of marigold and paprika crops with a dedicated base of farmers in India to processing them into oleoresins and finally finished goods.
OmniActive oversees every step in our vertically integrated supply chain. For example, when it comes to our Lutemax range, our non-GMO seeds are given to our exclusive farmer partners, who then cultivate premium marigold flowers. Our agricultural team educates the farmers on Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) guaranteeing we meet the necessary quality requirement to sell in various geographies. We continuously perform field visits, which gives us visibility on cultivation practices. Our selected farmer partners also abide by local laws and acts that oversee the conservation of botanicals. We train farmers on ways to protect the soil through integrated pest and nutrient management and encouraging the use of natural alternatives. Additionally, we educate the farmers on crop rotation to prevent soil depletion.
Here are some other ways we have minimized environmental impact throughout the years:
- Recycling water and building soil integrity: Water collected from marigold dehydration is rich in nutrients and organic material. Rather than discarding it, OmniActive has developed a process that, with minimal processing, converts it to a natural fertilizer to be applied to the farmers’ fields. For the farmers, the marigold water provides both moisture and rich organic material easily accessible to them
- Reducing water consumption: In a pilot project with farmers, we have deployed water-saving techniques like drip irrigation, which has resulted in savings of up to 90% of water compared to traditional agricultural practices
- Reducing, reusing, recycling of materials: Optimizing packaging of material in our supply chain so we can reuse whenever possible and replace materials that are difficult to recycle
The EPA reported, “Emissions from natural gas consumption represent 79% of the direct fossil fuel CO2 emissions from the residential and commercial sectors in 2020.” Doing our part to minimize our environmental impact means switching to fossil fuel alternatives wherever possible. Some of our initiatives include:
- Reducing the need for energy-intensive processes: Marigold flowers are 90 % water and large amounts of energy is required during dehydration. So, to reduce the amount of energy needed OmniActive uses the physical process of silage as a first step, which requires little energy and eliminates approximately 30% of the water in the flower
- Reducing fossil fuel usage: Hassan’s hot air generator (HAG) – used for dehydration – relies on agricultural waste (coffee dust, wood pellets, rice husks and sawdust) as alternative fuel. We are working on reducing our reliance on fossil fuels at our plants by using byproducts as an alternative fuel source.
- Net Zero emissions: Switching to energy-efficient bulbs to minimize electric consumption for lighting up to 90% and integrating renewable energy sources such as solar power are just a few ways we move towards our goal of Net Zero emissions
We are proud that our company not only serves as proof that these initiatives help improve the lives of all who are involved currently, but that we operate towards the greater good of a sustainable future.
About the OmniActive Improving Lives Foundation
OmniActive is dedicated to improving the lives of farmers as well as their families and villages in rural India. OmniActive focuses on improving the health and livelihood of small farming communities. The Foundation addresses some of the most pressing issues in rural India: health, environment, and education. The Foundation engages in many activities including providing access to clean drinking water, eye camps, tree planting, renewable energy, education for youth and farmer development and training. For more information, contact us or follow us on LinkedIn.